Monday, July 20, 2009

Spokesman of the Empire

Goes to Thomas Friedman

But every time I start writing that column, something stills my hand. This week it was something very powerful. I watched Greg Mortenson, the famed author of “Three Cups of Tea,” open one of his schools for girls in this remote Afghan village in the Hindu Kush mountains. I must say, after witnessing the delight in the faces of those little Afghan girls crowded three to a desk waiting to learn, I found it very hard to write, “Let’s just get out of here.”

Okay Thomas, you stay, you spend your money, your own sweat and blood, build your own utopia and sacrifice your own life. Don't come back and write some infantile column about how you "found it very hard to write. 'let's just get out of here'"

Update: Thomas Friedman has returned to the United States, maybe he didn't want to write it, but he sure got out of there.

No comments:

Post a Comment